It is tradition at Walker Industries that our employees come together to fundraise, volunteer and participate in activities to support the needs of the communities that we operate in. We believe it is important to provide employees with an opportunity to be engaged and help to make a difference in the communities that they live and work. We offer our employees two days per year to dedicate to volunteering and we are committed to improving employee engagement by increasing the percentage of employees who utilize these volunteer hours.
Walker Industries employees live our values every day and push to support various community initiatives and some highlights of employee-driven philanthropy include:
Walker Aggregates employees organized a Canadian Diabetes Clothesline event at our head office, which provided our employees an opportunity to donate old clothing, toys, books and electronics to support Diabetes Canada. This initiative was undertaken to support a Walker Aggregates employee’s young nephew who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 14 months old. A total of 42 bags of clothing and 8 boxes of household items were collected.
Walker Emulsions supported coastal conservation of South Carolina to assist one our employees at the Orangeburg facility who was involved in beginning the local Coastal Conservation Association South Carolina Chapter.
Walker Environmental’s Niagara Compost employees assisted a local not-for-profit organization, Links for Greener Learning, to develop a teaching garden.
They constructed a compost bin that provides observation opportunities at different stages of the composting process as well as ensured they received enough tree stumps to use as stools.
- Walker Industries challenged all employees to go above and beyond and commit to accomplishing 150 good deeds over a two-week period in celebration of Canada’s 150th birthday. Every employee who submitted their act of kindness received an entry for a$1,500 donation to a charity of their choice, which they had the opportunity to deliver themselves.
- Ronald McDonald House (2 Donations)
- Owl Foundation
- Dunnville Hospital & Healthcare Foundation
- All Sports All People (The Sledge Hockey Fund)
- Ernestine’s Women’s Shelter
- Essentials for Excellence for Juravinski
- MADD St. Catharines
- Lincoln County SPCA
- Wellington North Fire Service
- For the fourth consecutive year, Walker Industries’ Together WE Can program had $10,000 to give back to our communities from funds previously raised by employees. Employees’ names were entered into a lottery and 15 employees won the chance to give money to the charity of their choice. The following charities received donations:
- $2,000: The St. Catharines Humane Society
- $1,000: SickKids Hospital, Jubilee Fellowship Christian Reformed Church, Scouts Canada, and Canadian Cancer Society.
- $500: Heart & Stroke Foundation, Nature Conservancy of Canada, New Song Church, Hospice North Hastings, The Salvation Army, Cancer Research Society, and Home Again.
- $250: Project Share Niagara Falls and Kristen French Child Advocacy Centre Niagara
Supporting the needs of the communities in which we operate is a founding value of Walker Industries. The value of giving back to the community has been instilled in each of our employees by the Walker family. Our corporate philanthropic focus includes the arts, education, health and community. In 2017, we donated a total of $434,386 to support the needs of our communities. Not included in this amount are the contributions the Walker family shareholders made to various community initiatives.
In addition to the corporate giving, the shareholders of Walker Industries have recently committed to a number of projects including:
- Bethesda (Autism Facility for Children)
- Wellspring Niagara Cancer Support Foundation
To learn more about how we are Encouraging Philanthropy, see Related Stories & Links.